My daughter presented me with the wreck of a favourite skirt that fitted her perfectly and asked if I would make her a skirt for Christmas. She had bought the skirt about three or four years ago for the princely sum of £3 from a charity shop .
As a try out I pulled some material from my stash that I had hidden away for about 30 years , not her usual colours but one of the few pieces that would provide enough material for the flowing style of the old skirt.
. That seemed to work ok, so hunting through the stash I came across material costing £3 from a charity shop and thought she could probably do with another one so
and what do you know another piece from the same place
. and since she was always saying how cold her hands get scraping the frost of a car
I designed a scramster so she could keep warm whilst she did the scraping. Post Christmas I came across a photo of my great nephew wearing his new army kit from Santa, but Santa had forgotten to provide pants to go with the gun and helmet and I just happened to have in mu stash a small piece of camo material.
That was a good month but my sewing room as looking a little worse for wear so my New Years resolution was to keep a tidy sewing room, cramped though it is – it’s my little bit of heaven.
Not done much sewing recently due to OOPARTs in my sewing room but finally got back in there . Daughter had a favourite skirt that had seen better days – the pattern-and I had a couple of yards of viyella fabric in my stash that had been there for close on 30 years- the material. Time to put them together.
Been busy these last few weeks with a couple of fancy dress costumes for a boy who just loves dressing up. I made the Iron man II based on the Burda Spiderman pattern which is made in a stretchy material. I used poly cotton for the iron man and thought I had added enough extra to the pattern to cope with the non stretch of the poly cotton. I hadn’t added quite enough so a quick unpick and some black stripes added into the costume to give a bit of ease.
Iron man II
No sooner had I finished this one he asked hopefully for a Ninja Turtle. For this I used a pyjama pattern in camouflage material and added an underside and a shell. The shell was made from an old suede curtain and batting. The top of the shell was left unattached so that weapons, lunch and quite a bit of other stuff could be stashed there.
I also made a cross belt and belt in the same suede and a bandana in blue as requested, but the eager young actor took that home with him before I could photograph it.
A friend gave me a huge pile of black, linen like material that she no longer needed as backing on photo shoots. Not sure what I will use it for yet but here is something she asked me to make for her. She teaches in a nursery for pre schoolers and at the end of the year they have a little ceremony as the little ones go up to big school.
Could I make some graduation gowns for them.
I made a rough pattern based on the cardboard I pulled out from some packs of polo shirts for a 10 year old.
cardboard and selotape
The card was too stiff for inserting pins so I grabbed the selotape and stuck the pattern to the fabric. The material was fraying as I looked at it. The selotape had the addded advantage o keeping the fraying under control and cutting out with pinking shears added to the control.
Its a while since I have had a 4 year old around so I was a bit hazy on how big to make the gown. Just waiting now to try it out when I find a model.
Blouse number 2 using a pattern from Simplicity.
I have a slight problem since having surgery for breast cancer, in that one boob is twice the size of the other, hence my somewhat lob sided appearance. I am therefore investigating several styles to find the best remedy for this. This blouse has proved to be a good fit and comfortable, may need to look at the princess seaming to improve the look but the blouse doesn’t gape awkwardly as a lot of shop bought blouses do . Think I should have used a lighter weight interface in the collar too.
Last year I threw out most of my clothes that had seen me through at least 20 years, but being a thrifty soul, they didn’t quite make it to the charity bag, they lay in a heap in the spare room wardrobe – just in case I put the weight I’d lost back on, or in case I could reuse them for making children’s dressing up clothes.
I managed to recycle some of the items into bags and various other items and actually managed to give a few items to the charity shop. I still have a bag full of skirts that I am sick of wearing and will probably reuse as backing for cushions – at some point.
So full of resolution I am starting to make myself some new clothes, although there is an \|Iron man costume on the go at the same time. I made myself 3 nighties to warm up in pastel shades of lilac,mint and lemon and very practical they are too.
. Each nightie cost about £6 using poly cotton.
The next project is to make about 5 tops of various styles. here is the first. It cost me £1,as the material was new material purchased in a charity shop. Not totally happy with the collar as a bit out of practice with clothes for me.
Blouse No. 1
While I have been in a bag making mood, I have been turning old clothes into useful items
From toddler jeans to knitting bag
The jeans had a hole at the knee and were therefore not suitable for passing on to charity shops or other children so I cut them off about an inch above the hole , unpicked the legs upto the croth and then rejoined them so that they made a bag, the curve of the crotch now being at the outside edges. I trimmed one side of the bag to make the shape even and then joined up the sides and bottom . I was a bit short of material to make handles – toddlers are small- so I had to piece together several strips from the lower legs to make each handle. and attatched on each side.